Applied Machine Learning Engineer
Smile Identity builds trust.
Smile Identity is Africa's leading identity verification, and digital Know Your Customer (KYC) provider. We help companies scale rapidly across Africa by confirming the true identity of their users in real time, using any smartphone or computer. Our technology is powered by proprietary Machine Learning algorithms designed specifically for African faces, devices and network connections.
Our team is a diverse group of hardworking, truth-seeking, and fun-loving Smilers spanning 5 offices, 10 countries and 8 time zones. Our products are already making waves across many industries, from Banking to Fintech and Telecoms. We recently announced a $20M Series B raise and are backed by leading global investors, including Norsken22, Costanoa, CRE, Future Africa, Susa Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Courtside Ventures, Two Culture Capital, Latitude, Valuestream Ventures, Intercept Ventures and Vinod Khosla who are supporting us every step of the way.
Do you like working alongside a team of intelligent individuals? Do you want to have fun while making a real difference? Here at Smile Identity, you'll get the freedom and autonomy you need to do your best work, the flexibility to be creative, and the opportunity to grow and put your unique stamp on our mission.
What are you waiting for? Come with us on this amazing journey!
We are looking for a highly capable Applied Machine Learning Engineer to help optimize our Machine Learning systems at Smile Identity. As an ideal candidate, you should possess solid statistics and programming skills, with experience in a related ML role. You will also evaluate existing ML processes, and enhance the accuracy of our AI software’s predictive automation capabilities. This is a chance to make a big impact in a growth stage company. The role has a comprehensive list of responsibilities and to be successful you should be able to contribute to the attainment of specific goals and results of the Computer Vision/Machine Learning department and the organization. This role reports directly to the Head of Artificial Intelligence.
- Train and fine-tune deep learning models for use cases in biometrics
- Curate training and test data for machine learning
- Evaluate machine learning models for deployment
- Champion data governance “best practices” for machine learning
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years professional experience in software engineering, applied algorithm development, and machine learning
- Degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering or related field is a plus
- Proficient in Python, Linux, AWS (S3, EC2, RDS), Git, Docker, SQL, Numpy, Tensorflow and/or PyTorch
- Experience in exploratory data analysis in jupyter notebooks or VScode
- Experience in Data governance strategies ( like feature stores and model registries )
- Prior experience at a startup in an agile team-based environment
- Prior experience with remote, distributed teams is a strong plus
- Ability to autonomously manage simultaneous projects in a fast paced, digital, remote business environment
- Nice-to-haves: C++, OpenCV, CI/CD principles, Streaming architecture and serverless concepts, Developing data / ML model regression tests, Computer vision pipelines, Container orchestration ( like Kubernetes or ECS ), ML for mobile/IOT, Model compression techniques, Embeddings and vector search, Incremental and active learning methods
- Proficient with Google Suite or related software
- Competitive compensation package
- Stock Options
- Flexibility (this is a remote-working position) and a chance to join a purpose-driven technology company at an exciting inflection point