Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
SideQuest is the ultimate community for standalone VR. A place where developers and players around the globe can experiment, share, and get excited about the apps they love. Developers (like us) are free to mess with mechanics and modes on their journey to official app stores, and players can safely explore thousands of titles across the weird and wonderful world of VR.
The biggest collection, all in one place—’cause who needs limits, right? It takes talent to make it happen, and that’s where our team comes in. Spread remotely across the world from Belfast to Beijing, we work hard over a four-day week to support devs, list apps, test, explore, create, and much, much more.
We’re deep in start-up territory, so there’s a lot to get done. And sometimes we need to go above and beyond to do it. But each of us is trusted with the freedom to seize the initiative, unleash our inner enthusiast, build an exciting career in the VR industry—and have an absolute blast while we do it.
After all, [mayhem + fun = SideQuest]
Sounds like your dream job? We want to hear from you.
Embrace Your Inner Hero: We thrive on pushing boundaries, championing the underdog, and embracing the thrill of pioneering new frontiers. We encourage every member of our community to rise above challenges, and harness their unique strengths.
Forge A Path: We embrace the thrill of thinking differently, and breaking free from conventions. Our community takes the first step towards uncharted territories, and when necessary, fearlessly draws a line in the sand to chart a new course.
Stories that Move: Our narratives transcend code and spreadsheets, capturing the essence of our work to create a masterpiece. Our approach ensures that every story we create resonates, leaving a lasting impact on the hearts and minds of our audience.
Evoke Community Spirit: Like adventurers in a tight-knit guild, we unite diverse talents, fostering an inclusive space where every voice resonates. Transparent communication and mutual support propel us as we fearlessly explore virtual reality's uncharted territories.
Location: [Remote (United States) or Remote (United Kingdom) or Remote (Spain)]
Salary: £74,000 > £83,000 (UK) or $120,000 > $150,000 (USA) or €46,000 > €55,000 (Spain)
Reporting into: Max Myers (CTO)
About the role
As a Software Architect at SideQuest, you’ll play a key role in our Engineering team as the architectural expert. You’ll work closely with the wider development team to build software that powers the SideQuest website running at scale. The role has the opportunity to make a significant impact at a fast-moving, innovative startup at the forefront of the Virtual Reality industry.
In your first 6-12 months you'll:
- Build highly scalable, low latency, fault-tolerant, and high-performance architecture solutions for commercial web and mobile applications geared towards the consumer
- Guide other engineers with expertise in coding, documentation, distributed systems architecture and software development process
- Build collaborative partnerships with engineers, team leads and key individuals within other functional teams
- Design, build and maintain REST API services using technologies such as node.js, express.js, braintree or others
- Communicate the architecture to the stakeholders and collaborate with existing team members in the formalization and adoption of standards and procedures
- Lead architecture, design and code reviews with engineering teams
- Provide oversight on delivery to ensure industry best practices, standards, automation, timeliness and continuous improvement
Skills you will need:
- Experience working in software architecture, preferably at a large brand or marketplace
- Experience working with software development teams and translating business objectives into deliverables
- Ability to design cloud-based architecture, with an understanding of it’s impact on latency and consistency (ideally GCP)
- Effective communication skills, with ability to determine levels of detail required
- Expert level working experience of Web Infrastructure technologies (Web Service, Rest/Soap)
- Working experience with CI/CD pipelines, building regression-able code using Github, Jenkins and other dev ops related tools and applications
Bonus points if:
- Experience working in the virtual reality or gaming industry
- Experience working fully remote
- Passion for the bigger picture
Life in a startup can get hectic, but we don't believe in burning out for the sake of the business. While there will always be extra-work and late nights on ground-breaking projects, we prioritize our team’s health before everything else.
That’s why we offer:
● A 4-day working week for all staff—with flexible hours
● A generous annual leave policy
● The guarantee of working for a globally remote company
● Free access to online learning platforms to ensure the best quality learning and development
We welcome applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, skin color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Should you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
1st: This interview will be conducted by a member of our People Team. Its purpose is to understand your motivation for applying, ensure alignment with our values, and address any administrative questions you may have.
2nd: You'll meet with your prospective line manager and a team member for a technical evaluation.
3rd: The third interview involves meeting with the head of the team you would be joining, along with another team member. In some cases, this stage may be optional, depending on the role.