Data Infrastructure Engineer
Headway’s mission is a big one - to build a new mental health care system everyone can access. We’ve built technology that helps people find great therapists with the first software-enabled national network of providers accepting insurance.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the majority of providers don’t accept insurance, making therapy too expensive for most people. Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access by making it easy for therapists to take insurance and scale their practice.
Headway was founded in 2019 – since then, we’ve grown into a diverse, national network of over 25,000 mental healthcare providers across all 50 states who run their practice on our software. We’re a Series C company powering 500k+ appointments per month with over $225m in funding from a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Accel, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Spark Capital, Thrive Capital, and Health Care Service Corporation.
We want your time here to be the most meaningful experience of your career. Join us, and help change mental healthcare for the better.
About Infrastructure at Headway
Building a new mental healthcare system at Headway is only possible because of the scale and leverage that software can provide. The infrastructure engineering team at Headway is a small but mighty team building our AWS infrastructure, automated deploy processes, and developer experience that helps us deliver a best-in-class experience for our patients and therapists. As we scale, we're looking for an experienced Data Infrastructure Engineer to help us design and build the infrastructure to support the growth of our data engineering, data analyst and machine learning teams. In this new role, you'd report to our Head of Infrastructure and work closely with our Infrastructure, Data Engineering, and Machine Learning teams to support infrastructure needs as we grow in traffic, data, and scale. Please note that this is not a data engineering role.
Principles that guide us:
Focus on the mission: We view software as a means of effecting change in the world, not as an end unto itself. We write software to empower our patients and therapist to better solve the problems they’re facing.
Ship small, learn fast: We are building new and novel products and believe that we learn what our users need by quickly shipping and iteration.
Everything is a product: Whether it's our patient search experience or a developer productivity improvement, we treat everything we build at Headway as a product with end-users in mind.
Optimize for trust: We believe that engineers should be continually learning. To learn effectively and to be productive, engineers must feel safe asking questions and discussing mistakes.
Who you are
We’re looking for data-focused infrastructure engineers who have the ability to deal with ambiguity and learn new technologies and systems in a fast-paced, high-growth environment. Below are some additional experiences we think help engineers succeed at Headway.
Experience we’re seeking:
- 3+ years experience as an Infrastructure Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), DevOps, or Software Engineer with a focus on building data infrastructure for high growth data functions (DS/DE/Analytics). Extensive experience with databases and data processing technologies, such as Kafka, Postgres, Spark, Presto, Hive etc.
- Cloud infrastructure experience (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Working knowledge of one or more high-level programming languages (Python, Java, Scala, etc.)
- Working knowledge of infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, Pulumi, AWS CDK, etc.)
- Can communicate well, both verbally and via documentation
- Have a track record of working well across teams and functions
- Bonus points if you
- Experience with monitoring and APM tools (Datadog, New Relic, etc.)
- Experience building robust data pipelines, ideally in Spark
- Experience working with and maintaining Airflow infrastructure
- Understanding of ETL/ELT best practices and technologies
- Experience with data security and compliance, particularly in a regulated environment
- Experience with Docker
You'll love this role if you want to:
- Change the trajectory of a startup striving to redefine access to mental health in America
- Work on a highly collaborative, cross-functional engineering team in order to build the best products for therapists, patients, physician and payer partners, and/or your teammates at Headway
- Build and improve tooling to make engineering more streamlined and efficient
- Help establish and engrain best practices throughout our codebases
- Work in a fast-paced, iterative development process -- we release changes to our products multiple times per day!
- Contribute to our engineering culture, processes, and documentation with the same thought and care that we do our software (one of our engineering cultural principles is “Everything is a Product”)
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the interview process.
- Initial screen: You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round: You'll meet with an engineer on the team to complete a technical exercise and learn more about the engineering team.
- Final rounds: You’ll meet several more team members for technical and non-technical interviews and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer: Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary information is based on a single salary target per role:
- The starting salary for Infrastructure Engineers is $163,500 and increases to $195,500 based on industry tenure and experience.
- Benefits offered include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- HSA / FSA
- Work-from-Home Stipend
- Therapy Reimbursement
- 13 paid holidays each year as well as a Holiday Break during the week between December 25th and December 31st
- Unlimited PTO
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and professional development
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco. Headway participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click here.